Supporting you during COVID-19

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you’re in full-time employment and are self-isolating because of COVID-19, you can seek SPP from day one of self-isolation. This includes individuals who are caring for people self-isolating in the same household, who have been advised to do a household quarantine.

You will be able to obtain an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing a form. This replaces the need to provide a “fit note” after 7 days of sickness absence.

Click here for more information about Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). 

New Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit

If you are not eligible for SSP and you have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate, you can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or new style Employment and Support Allowance.

Click here for more information about Universal Credit and here for more information about Employment and Support Allowance.

Payment holidays for homeowners and renters

If you’re experiencing financial difficulties meeting your mortgage or rent payments because of COVID-19, you may be entitled to a mortgage or rental holiday for three months. If you are a tenant empiercing difficulties, the government will also ensure you do not face the threat of eviction for at least three months.

Those who are concerned about their current financial situation should contact their lenders/ landlord at the earliest possible opportunity to discuss suitable options for them.

Free parking

In the face of this global pandemic it is essential NHS and social care staff are able to carry out their vital work without worrying about paying for car parking. 

The government will cover the cost of providing free parking to NHS staff working in hospitals during this time. On-street parking and open, council-run car parks including pay and display and will also suspend charges for health workers, social care workers and NHS volunteers.

We’ve produced a parking permit for nurses, HCAs and ODPs who will be driving to and from their shift. This parking permit states that as a health professional, you are entitled to free parking under the instruction and guidance of the Health Secretary. If you don’t yet have a permit, please ask your consultant.


The government has asked parents to keep their children at home, wherever possible, and asked schools to remain open only for those children who absolutely need to attend. Parents whose work is critical to the COVID-19 response (such as health and social care workers) and who cannot keep their child safe at home will be prioritised for education provision.

We have sent all of our healthcare workers a letter which states that you are providing frontline support during the COVID-19 outbreak and are entitled to school provision. If you require a copy of this letter, please get in touch with your consultant. 

VIP supermarket opening hours

Supermarkets have introduced dedicated shopping hours for NHS workers to ensure you’re able to get all the essentials you need. Click here for more information. 

Discounts and freebies

To thank NHS workers for working tirelessly on the frontline, retailers across the world are also showing their support. We’ve compiled a list of the best discounts available here.